Have you ever heard of the saying “Necessity is the mother of invention”? Well this was definitely one of those times. I wanted to make a turkey spaghetti squash bake. I had everything done and ready to go into the oven, except I just needed to mix in the marinara. I went to grab marinara from the pantry because I ALWAYS have marinara on hand. EXCEPT this time!!! What to do? I had EVERYTHING ready to go… So I started to look in my pantry, and though what would be a good replacement for marinara? That is when I saw Mina Harissa a Moroccan Red Pepper Sauce in my pantry. I thought why not give it a try? Well I am beyond HAPPY I did! This turned out more amazing then I could have imagined! I even brought some to work for people to try and once they took a bite of it they immediately went online to buy some (I have also seen it at Vons)! That makes me think it’s pretty good right?
Have you heard of Mina Harissa?
Mina Harissa is a traditional Moroccan red pepper sauce, carefully blended using only 6 simple all natural ingredients; red chili pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, salt.
For this recipe I used the MILD Harissa which has a subtle hint of heat, that works with the most delicate of recipes to create a combination of delicious flavors.
- 1 Small/Medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1.25 pounds Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Herbamare Seasoning, to taste (Salt and Pepper could also work)
- 2 Bell Peppers, chopped (I used Orange Bell Peppers)
- ½ a Red Onion, chopped
- ¾ cup Mina Harissa Traditional Moroccan Red Pepper Sauce, Mild
- Colby and Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese (Any cheese would work)
- Cut Spaghetti Squash crosswise NOT lengthwise (this makes it so both sides fit on one plate)
- Get a microwave safe plate and fill it with enough water to cover the bottom of the plate
- Scrape out the seeds
- Place the spaghetti squash halves open face down
- Microwave for approximately 8 minutes depending on size
- When it is cool enough to handle scrape the insides out with a fork
- While the Spaghetti Squash is cooking preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a pan on medium heat place a little oil.
- Add in the ground turkey, red pepper flakes, and herbamare seasoning.
- When the turkey is half way cooked add in the chopped bell peppers and onion.
- Cook until turkey is cooked with no pink left.
- Mix the spaghetti squash with the turkey mixture and the Mina Harissa Sauce.
- Place the mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake until cheese melts (approximately 5 minutes)
- Eat up!
I got the Red Pepper Flakes and Herbamare Seasoning from Vitacost. Click this link to save $10 off your first purchase of $30 or more.